Thursday, September 26, 2019

Annette Richter

OK, after school we would all go to Bushes fried chicken it was a choice between that or a Mexican Restaurant El Tapatio, so it was Bushes today, it was in a gas station, and one of the few places a high school kid could work or even hang out at. So as we all went there the discussion of who was going to be our future female conquests. I mentioned the new girl in the school, and John said her name is Annette Richter. The entire football team was there when her family unpacked, but she seems uninterested in getting to know anyone. Some of the team actually thinks she is a lesbian, because who doesn’t want to date a football player, as this is Texas.
 Annette moved her from Nashville Tennessee how can any leave there for here, her father was Air Force recruiter and inherited his house from his parents, retired and then boom she arrived. As the year progressed she is a gifted student in physics and school to her is boring so her parents have some Baylor Professors working with her, she is a freshman but her education level is beyond anything this school can perform.
 My mother one night at dinner asked if any of us seen her, my fork fell to the ground, my English bulldog Matilda just got a free piece of Roast beef. I asked why? She met her father at Oakley’s and talked about her, come to find out she graduated high school in the 8th grade, but wanted to have her enjoy High School before attending Baylor after her sophomore year. She has already complete the Telluride Association Summer Program in the 7th grade. And I was like I have no idea what she just said. So I asked SIRI. TASP is for gifted Juniors in High school to get together and go over things basically in the summer. Other than that So mom asked my twin brothers George and Charlie, did you see her? They both said no, and they heard she was gay. My mom is more liberal than most mothers were offended and asked them have you thought she needs conversation vs testosterone? And Charlie said he plays football. What else does she need she has the brain and I have the Braun. Perfect match for me, but she seems not interested in me or anyone on the team so to bad for her.
 So my junior year, I sat and admired her even more she has accomplished only seen on TV yet she wears cowboy boots and open shoulder shirts and a classy set of Ray Bans plus jeans, I did get a B in of all things physics so my mental meter of me and her fell slightly, my father was not happy, although the world seem to slide by in our view of him, he did pay attention at times. My plan for my senior year I am taking college algebra and also college level physics, and he wants me to go to Texas, which is very competitive, no scout has approached me about wresting, but I am the 3rd seeded wrestler entering my junior year. So I am hoping this is my year. As it is hard to get the attention of Texas my senior year.
 I got the courage to ask Annette if she could go to Austin to watch the state championship Wrestling tournament all she could say was why? And she has to see if her parents were up to going. As usual with my first question, I am hitting myself and saying why would I ever ask such a stupid question. So that winter break, the state tournament started, my father took time off from work, and 30 of the best wrestlers in each weight class. Then some magic happened, I upset the number one wrestler in the state in front of the Texas Scouts.  Then onto the finals, where the number 2 was also upset, and I was up against the number 4 wrestler, Frank Martin of LaVaga I am 6-0 against him in my career so far. 158 is a tough weight class lots of strength and people cutting weight. Loosing 2-0 in the start of the second period I look up in the stands in front of me and I am shocked, Annette Richter is there, the  3rd period, was upcoming, Coach Mack called a time out, and both of us went to our corner, he told me as he was rubbing my shoulders Johnny you know that In 2 minutes you will be the state champion of Texas just win, then out of no where my father comes up and says Johnny, I am proud of you, you have this. So off I go to the center of the mat, down 2-0 I awesome the lower position. Frank drives his head in my rib cage my strength I bear down on the mat and not moving I grab his wrist, my coach and father yell YES you have this then the Gramby roll and I maintain the control and roll him on his back where I pull tight on his wrist, and then the whistle and the hand slap pin!! I was State Wrestling Champion my father and coach Mack are going nuts!! I just start crying in the center of the ring, Annette comes up with her father and she said congratulations you were awesome, her father goes you scared us until that roll. Me and my courage I just said yeah, then stupid, The Mr Mack, goes Texas, SMU, Michigan is here I told them all to meet me at the DOJO, Me and my family are going to celebrate. My father tells Texas set up an appointment with him so they can be last. My mother approached me and told me how proud she was. I actually never seen her cry, but she had a tear, I asked her if she was ok, then she showed me the picture of me sitting in the middle of the mat. It was a surreal moment. Then my father goes come on we are going to the Jackalope Restaurant. And off went.
























No comments: